Am I happy, you ask? I must say, when I decided to do this 12 Months of Happiness, I never dreamed of the life changing events that would happen to me in such a short time.
First of all, my January goal was to spend 1 hour a day doing anything I enjoy. I must say that some days have been harder than others (I’m a workaholic, by nature), but I tried to do it as much as possible. Some days I would read. Other days I would just sit and watch one of my favorite shows on the DVR for an hour. Many days I would read and listen to my favorite music. Some days I would just play on Facebook and not feel guilty. A few days I spent an hour playing with and cuddling my dog, Louie (made him happy too). Yes, it probably sounds like a boring life to some, but to a workaholic, these are luxuries I usually don’t allow – at least not without the guilt that goes along with it. Fortunately, these small changes began to create major shifts in the energy I was putting out into the universe, and therefore, attracted more happiness (it’s the Law of Attraction). Also, I started feeling like I deserved the time out. That was unusual for this old workaholic, for sure.
Here we are, only on day 20 of the month of January, and I am amazed and humbled at the things that have happened to me.
- I got connected to a drummer who is part of a famous rock band. He’s also a published author and ghostwriter. We are working on one of my client’s websites together so he can start blogging for her. That’s not the best part. He has invited the client/friend and I to go back stage at one of their concerts and they are opening for one of my favorite singer’s, Bret Michaels. Even though I may not get to meet Bret, I’ll get to be happy enjoying both concerts from backstage. He didn’t even know I was a classic rock or Bret Micahaels fan.
- People around me just seem to be genuinely happy. They are opening up to me and expressing how their life is finally changing. They are excited about their possibilities. Even the most negative people seem to be working on their own self improvement. I’ve been amazed at the changes in attitudes.
- I feel like I’ve got a new energy in me. I am working long and hard, but I’m happy about it. I feel like the sky is the limit. In fact, I am considering beginning training as a Life Coach, because God seems to be pointing me in that direction. It just feels right.
- My long time relationship of one of my best friends was strained due to a series of events that happened years ago. I was holding on to resentment and scared to trust again. I finally got the courage to let her know how I felt and to tell her I forgive her. This started the necessary dialogue that needed to happen, in order for both of us to heal and move past this. We are in a better place now. While the relationship may never be what it was before, we have made tremendous progress. I am genuinely happy to have her back in my life (in a more connected way).
- I’ve started a new project that is a secret for now. It is a fun project, and the woman that I’m working with and I are having a blast working on it – again, more happiness. I hope it comes to fruition sometime in 2016. It’s one of those things that if you would’ve told me 2 months ago I’d be going off on this venture, I would’ve told you that you were crazy. God is good!
- So back to your question…Am I happy? I can honestly say that I am happier this month than I’ve been in a long time. I can’t wait to see what the rest of the year holds for me. Please give this a try in your own life. Again here’s the link, if you missed the beginning of this journey to 12 Months of Happiness. I still haven’t decided what I”ll do for February, but I’ll let you know when I decide. Have a happy day and keep smiling!