Sausage balls are a staple in the south during the holidays. They are so delicious and easy to make. I usually make mine ahead of time and freeze. This year I started thinking of healthier alternatives than using Bisquick. I had already bought a whole wheat baking mix, so I decided to try it. Also, being the clutter person I naturally am, I could not find my old recipe, so I just made it up. I was amazed at how great they turned out. Later I want to try substituting turkey sausage for pork sausage, but I want to try them out, before I make them for my guests for the holidays. However, substituting turkey for pork sausage would obviously be another way you could make them healthier.
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Baking Mix
- 2 Cups Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Lb. Jimmy Dean Sausage (Original or Hot)
- ¾ Cup Almond Milk (you may use any milk you prefer)
- Using your hands, mix all ingredients together until thoroughly blended.
- Spray a baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Form 1” balls out of mixture and place on baking sheet leaving about an inch in between each ball.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Enjoy and if you decide to make these, please come back and let me know how your friends and family like them.