Eco-Friendly, All Natural, Homemade Powdered Laundry Detergent

by Krista Davis on October 17, 2013

I have a confession, the powdered laundry detergent I was previously using (and that most DIY detergent recipes use a variation of) is NOT non-toxic or eco-friendly. This is a new discovery for me. After 2 years of using the same powdered laundry detergent, I decided to look more into the individual ingredients (thankfully my eco-friendly liquid detergent is still environmentally-friendly but the washing soda can still cause problems if not careful while making it).ggg

With the old detergent the ingredients I found to have a possible negative effect are:

• Fels-Naptha Soap – It isn’t natural and it includes titanium dioxide which is a known carcinogen.
  • Washing Soda (Sodium Carbonate) – It isn’t carcinogenic nor a neurotoxin, but it is linked with respiratory tract irritation, damage to nasal septum, coughing and difficulty breathing if inhaled, gastrointestinal tract irritation, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea if ingested, and skin irritation and burning if in direct contact with skin (this made me have to wear gloves while washing clothes by hand, since my skin would peel).
  • Oxygen Cleaner (Sodium Percarbonate and Sodium Carbonate) – First, it contains washing soda (sodium carbonate); second, it isn’t environmentally friendly (Ethoxylated Alcohol C12-C16 is an ingredient used that is toxic to aquatic life and never to be flushed into a sewer system – which is unavoidable when washing laundry); third, Ethoxylated Alcohol C12-C16  is listed as a human carcinogen by the National Toxicology Program (NTP) and International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), as well as a reproductive hazard by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).

When I decided to change my recipe I began by looking at laundry detergent that can be used on baby clothes and cloth diapers, since as a community we tend to be more health conscience when it comes to our infants. I did find a few that were still using washing soda or an oxygen cleaner, so I combined the environmentally friendly and natural ingredients to make my own.  The ingredients I came up with are:  pure castile soap (I use Dr. Bronner’s since it is organic and easy for me to find online or at natural food stores), baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate), and borax (sodium tetraborate). [If you are unsure about the safety of borax please read this article and the related links on the Crunchy Betty’s page, so you can make your own informed decision.]

• Pure castile soap is a natural cleaning agent.
  • Baking soda loosens dirt and stains, and reduces or eliminates odors.
  • Epsom salt is great with hard water, preventing excess mineral build up.
  • Borax helps remove tough stains, reduces or eliminates odors, softens hard water, and is a natural alternative to color-safe bleach.

EcoFriendly All Natural Homemade Laundry Detergent

I have tested this recipe with both washing by hand and line drying and using a washing machine and dryer, and with both cold and hot washes. The only difference I have found from my old powdered detergent is my clothes now seem a little softer after line drying, and I haven’t had a need to use protective gloves with this detergent since my hands don’t become itchy, red, or have any peeling (a great benefit over the previous recipe). I still use 2 Tbsp. for every large load and only 1 Tbsp. for smaller loads. If using only 1 Tbs. per load it will last over 200 loads.

Eco-Friendly, All Natural, Homemade Laundry Detergent

Directions:

1. Grate pure castile soap, or chop it and put it in a high-speed blender to make a powder.
  2. Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
  3. Place powdered detergent in a 2 gallon container.
  4. Use 1 Tbsp.  for small or delicate loads and 2 Tbsp. for large loads.
  5. Like any other detergent that contains “soap”, over time repelling can occur with cloth diapers, feel free to omit the pure castile soap specifically for your diaper detergent.

Tips:

• 1/2 cup of  Hydrogen Peroxide can be added to the wash to help with bad stains (I even make a paste of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda to treat stains before washing).
  • Distilled White Vinegar helps brighten whites, removes odors, and can be used in place of fabric softener.

Update 10/18/13: Today I washed the dirtiest clothes I have ever seen. My husband’s work clothes were dripping with oil/grease (literally). I don’t know if he had it poured on him or what, but his clothes were black, coating everything they touched, and the fumes made me nauseated to be around. I used 3 Tbs. of this detergent on them, and they came out perfect. I can’t even tell they had such a horrible mess on them. I wish I had taken before and after pictures to show the dramatic difference.

For more information regarding ingredient choices go to:

Next Step to Green Living: As Close to Paper Free as I Can Be

Powered By DT Author Box

Written by Krista Davis

Krista Davis

Krista is a self-proclaimed “health nut” and eco-friendly enthusiast.

As Close to Paper Free As I Can Be
Washing Clothes by Hand and Tips for Line Drying

{ 82 comments… read them below or add one }

Rosa T. October 26, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Would this recipe be appropriate to use in my HE washing machine for cloth diapers? Would I need to do anything different? Thanks! :)

Krista Davis October 27, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Rosa,
I’ve used this detergent in an HE washing machine with no problem. All of the ingredients have been used with cloth diapers. Just like with any soap there is a possibility of build up over time, requiring stripping of your diaper. There isn’t much soap being used, especially with how little is used per load, so this might not be a problem.

Rosa T. October 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Thanks so much! I will first try the recipe without soap anyway. :) Thanks for the post!

Krista Davis October 28, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Welcome! Let me know how it does without the soap. I know many cloth diaper detergents just remove it and keep everything else the same, but I’ve never tried it without.

Stefanie December 18, 2013 at 5:28 PM

When you use this in HE machine, do you put the 1- 2tbs in the soap tray or straight in the tumbler? Thanks!

Krista Davis December 19, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Stefanie, with HE machines I place the laundry soap in the tray.

Stefanie December 19, 2013 at 3:43 PM

thanks so much! I plan on trying it this weekend :)

bethany January 2, 2014 at 12:10 AM

I have read that borax is actually pretty toxic…have you researched rhat?

Krista Davis January 2, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Bethany,
I went back and forth on using borax and did a lot of research on it. Finally, based on everything I read (both scientific reports and opinion pieces) I determined that borax is safe, as long as it isn’t digested. Take a look at CrunchyBetty.com’s post on the debate, http://www.crunchybetty.com/getting-to-the-bottom-of-borax-is-it-safe-or-not.
I’m glad to see you are looking into information on the subject. You should always do your own research before using products that can affect your health.
-Krista

Jordan January 10, 2014 at 6:28 PM

I would love to try this recipe, i was just wondering if you had to use the castile soap, or if you could use any soap bar? I am not sure where to get this soap is all. Could you still use homemade fabric softeners with this? i have found so many different recipes for detergent and yours is the first that has even remotely appealed to me. :) thank you.

Krista Davis January 10, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Jordan, I’m not sure about using other soaps, I just know that this one is non-toxic and eco-friendly. Under the ingredients there is an Amazon link to purchase the soap. Also, I have found it at health food stores and Whole Foods. I bet you can use homemade fabric softener with it, just do your research on the ingredients. I only use distilled white vinegar for times I wish to use fabric softener.
I’m glad I can help!

Renee July 28, 2014 at 10:22 AM

If you cannot find Dr Bronner’s in your area ( I get mine at Kroger, GNC or Target), Kirk’s Castile bar soap is also sold in national stores like Wal-mart ( 3 pack for less than $4), Family Dollar ( 3 pack for less than $4) and Harris Teeter. I use a similar recipe without the Borax and found clothes come clean.

Chelsea February 5, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Hi, I’m interested in making this detergent and am wondering how big of a glass jar I’d need to store this recipe in? 2 gallons? 4 gallons?

Krista Davis February 5, 2014 at 9:15 PM

2 gallon should be fine. I have stored mine in a holiday popcorn tin.

Julia February 11, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Do you know if this would make for safe gray water? We want to use our washing machine gray water to irrigate our lawn, but we don’t want to put anything toxic out there.

Krista Davis February 13, 2014 at 2:50 AM

Julia,
Based on my research this recipe should be safe for gray water. Everything I have read shows that all ingredients listed are eco-friendly. During the summer, I wash clothes outside and I haven’t seen any adverse affect to plants.

Aziraphale February 2, 2015 at 12:33 AM

Though this is a good detergent recipe, it is NOT greywater safe, and definitely needs to be diverted to a sewer or septic system, due to the sodium content of all of the ingredients…including the sodium laurel sulfate in Dr Bronner’s Sal Suds. Salts are very detrimental to plant and soil health, and borax has long been used as a weed killer. When I occasionally wash my laundry with borax, I divert it into my blackwater tank for placement into a municipal sewer system. My bathwater from Epsom salt baths – same. Being off-grid, it can be a pain in the neck…but it’s a far cry better than literally salting the earth wherever I go.

Here’s a good website discussing what is and isn’t greywater-safe: http://ecologycenter.org/factsheets/greywater-cleaning-products/

Many happy returns! :)

Krista Davis March 3, 2015 at 7:45 PM

Aziraphale,
Thank you for the information. I will have to do more research on the matter.

Patrice December 29, 2015 at 3:49 PM

There is a big differents. In epsam bath sales and plan epsam salt. My husband and I use epsam salt and water mix as a spray in our garden. We use it on our tomato and pepper plants. I think you just need to be sure what product to buy. I’m looking forward to trying this soap. I will test it and see how it does as gray water.

Maunie Royce February 26, 2014 at 2:49 PM

I haven’t made my own laundry detergent before, but I think I’m going to try to make this reciep! I do not have a high efficiency washer machine. Would I need to use more than a 1 Tbsp. for small or delicate loads and 2 Tbsp. for large loads?

Krista Davis March 2, 2014 at 4:01 AM

Maunie,
Yes, 1 Tbsp. for small or delicate loads and 2 Tbsp. for large loads. I hope it works as well for you as it does for me!

Kim March 20, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Do you make liquid laundry detergent? Why or why not?

Krista Davis April 3, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Kim,
I have made the liquid detergent and it worked great. However, I prefer the powdered due to how easy it is to make and since it lasts longer. My liquid recipe can be found here.
Thanks for the question,
Krista

Jordan April 6, 2014 at 7:56 AM

Hi again, I was wondering about scent combinations and if anyone had any suggestions. I know we use 3 bars of soap so I was going to try and make a scent wth the dr. Bronners. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
Also I read that when you put the vinegar In the fabric softener tray you can add a couple drops of essential oil to booth the smell :)

Krista Davis April 6, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Jordan,
I have used the lavender, almond, the tea tree oil soaps. They have a light scent so when individually mixed in the detergent I haven’t found them to create an aroma with the clothing, just a natural clean smell due to the sea salt and baking soda. The essential oil drops mixed with the vinegar might help you create the scent you want. Let me know if you find any solutions. I periodocally wash clothes for people and they are used to the store bought smell.
-Krista

amy May 1, 2014 at 8:48 PM

I buy liquid castille soap in bulk and I have read your liquid tutorial, but I am curious how much would the equivalent of one bar of soap be to liquid soap. Do you know?

Thanks,
Amy

Krista Davis May 2, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Amy,
Based on Dr. Bronner’s website. 1 cup of liquid soap equals about 2/3 of a bar of soap, due to the higher content of water (61% vs. 5%) of liquid soap vs. bar soap.

amy May 1, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Also, why do you use washing soda in the liquid and baking here? Could I make this one and just sub. liquid castille soap?

I am new to all of this.
Thanks so much.
-Amy

Krista Davis May 2, 2014 at 10:01 AM

I created the liquid laundry soap before doing more thorough research. The reason I keep the washing soda in the liquid version, is because it is being cooked and put in a liquid form. Due to the health risks (breathing it in) I decided to omit it from the powdered form. If you were to substitute liquid castile soap for the bar soap in this recipe, the result wouldn’t be usable. You might be able to follow my liquid detergent instructions, with these ingredients to create a detergent, but I am not sure how that would turn out, due to the epsom salt and borax being water softeners.

Crystal July 1, 2015 at 8:46 AM

Why would using liquid soap instead of bar make it unusable? I mixed the powder than put that in and then added a squirt of the liquid because that was all I had and it worked great. My clothes were the softest they’d ever been after hand washing and drying.

Krista Davis July 6, 2015 at 5:23 PM

It is fine to add the liquid and powder together in the washer. If you combine them during the storing process the powder will clump and harden.

Crystal July 6, 2015 at 8:29 PM

Gottcha, thanks!

Amanda May 22, 2014 at 7:26 AM

Thank you for visiting my website and sharing this link! I will definitely look for these ingredients so that I can make my own eco-friendly laundry detergent. Maybe if I follow your 1-2 tbs rule I wont need to search all over Venezuela to find laundry detergent from the store!

-Amanda at http://teachingwanderlust.com/

Denise P. May 26, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Do you have any suggestions for the amount of distilled white vinegar to use for fabric softener?
Also is there anything you cannot/should not mix together with this formula for laundry detergent?
I have been looking for an all natural laundry detergent and this is probably one of the best ones I have found. You give all very good descriptions.

Krista Davis June 9, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Denise,

On the vinegar, you can use about 1 cup per load. As for ingredients you should not mix with this formula, I would recommend that you not substitute or add ingredients due to toxins and environmental pollutants, unless adding a few drops of essential oil to the vinegar; otherwise you have defeated the purpose of the homemade eco-friendly laundry detergent. Thanks for your good questions and for visiting our blog.

Jordan June 9, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Hi again, just wanted to do a follow up comment. I made this soap with the lavender scented bars and even added a couple drops of lavender essential oil in with the vinegar. I love it! I did find that we ccpuldn ‘t do cold cold, we have to do warm cold or else we find little bits of I dissolved soap in our things. And we end up using 3 Tbsp for the most part because 2 just didn’t seem to cut it. But it is a lovely soap and very easy to make! :) plus we hang dry our clothes so it’s just great.

Krista Davis June 10, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Jordan, I’m glad to hear the laundry soap is working for you. With the cold – cold I have to put the soap in before the clothes when using a top load washer, otherwise a few soap flakes will be left. I’ll have to try adding the essential oil with the vinegar. I bet the clothes come out with a light, fresh sent.

WilliamB July 30, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Visiting here via a series of links that started with the Frugal Girl & homemade oxyclean.

I have a question for you. You’ve done a great job of listing possible hazards from the products. Do you have any information about _how much_ of the products will create these hazards. I know that sensitivity will vary but there are industry standards about dosages and such. For example, the MSDS for borax (http://avogadro.chem.iastate.edu/MSDS/borax.htm) lists 1-5 mg per cubic meter, depending on the borax formulation.

Krista Davis July 31, 2014 at 6:54 AM

WilliamB,
I don’t know how much of the products per cubic meter will create the hazards. I am looking at the government reference sites I have listed and other research based sites to find an answer. If I find anything I will let you know. Please, let us know what you discover.
Thanks for the question,
Krista

Brandi August 15, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Hi,

I was curious if you use this detergent on cloth diapers and if so what type of cloth diapers?

Thanks,
Brandi

Krista Davis September 9, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Brandi,
My baby isn’t born yet (due around the end of December), but I do plan on using it for cloth diapers. I have talked to several families that use my recipe on them. I actually created the recipe by looking at cloth diaper friendly homemade detergents and chose the ingredients out of them that were the healthiest. I will be using organic cotton flats/prefolds and organic bamboo velour fitted. I would like to hear more from others who cloth diaper.

Michelle September 5, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Hello there, My question is if i wanted to make a small batch of the powdered detergent, what would be the ratios? I would like to test try this recipe first before making a large batch, as we have hard water here and it might not work with our water.Or would you suggest me adding more powder to the wash load? Thank you in advance.

Krista Davis September 9, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Michelle,
Since I travel I have used this detergent in all types of water with no issue. I only add additional powder if clothes are greasy, have a lot of red mud, or something else as equally staining on them. I’ve never made a smaller batch before. My only suggestion would be to use half of each box/bag and grate 1 1/2 bars of soap.

Shauna September 23, 2014 at 12:37 AM

I use a similar recipe that is 1 part Castile bar soap, 2 parts Borax, and 2 parts. baking soda ( I have soft water). One bar a the soap grated is 2 cups.

stephanie October 1, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Hi Krista,
I am so excited to try this out. Now my question is can a scented dr Bronner castile soap be used, and is the epsom salt necessary if I have soft water, or do you still recommend to use it. I have HE front load washers. Thanks

Krista Davis October 1, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Stephanie,
You can use the scented soap. I do, but I have never noticed a trace of scent after drying. I do recommend using the Epsom salt. I travel for a living and have not changed the recipe, despite the different water qualities used.

Stephanie H. November 14, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Hi! Thank you for this recipe. I just made a batch last night and gave it a go with a load this morning. Clothes are air drying right now, but look and smell great! Also tried it on my cloth diapers- hand washed- also drying now. I’ve noticed it does a number on my hands. Obviously I’ll need to get gloves, but I am curious what might do such damage on my hands? I don’t have any kind of allergies, so I feel like that’s an unlikely reason. Just wondering! I also made and used your baby wipe solution. It’s great- thank you!!!

Krista Davis November 15, 2014 at 7:51 AM

Stephanie,
I’m so glad the laundry detergent and baby wipe solution are working out for you. In regard to how the detergent is affecting your hands, the ingredients I chose were based on scientific studies, but I have heard of a few people having reactions to Borax if in direct contact with the skin. That or because several of the ingredients are course, it could be too much exfoliating for you. I would definitely recommend wearing the gloves so you don’t continue having issues. The powdered laundry detergent recipe I used before had my hands red, peelings, and burning, due to the washing soda, but I haven’t had any issues with this new recipe.

Kelli Holt November 16, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Is there any way that I can turn this into a liquid detergent? How many cups of water would I need?

Krista Davis November 23, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Kelli,
I’m not sure about turning this exact recipe into a liquid, but I have a liquid detergent recipe. http://cleaningouttheclutter.com/2012/04/eco-friendly-homemade-liquid-laundry-detergent/

Linda L November 19, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Like you, I used epsom salt in my laundry soap and homemade fabric softener. However, I have learned that Epsom salt actually hardens your water and leaves deposits on your clothing, as Epsom salt is not salt at all but calcium and magnisium. After doing lots of research, I have switched to kosher salt or ice cream rock salt….you can find it cheap and it is good for your clothing and water. Just thought I’d share what I found.

Krista Davis November 23, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Thanks for the tip for an alternative.

Lolali December 15, 2014 at 12:01 AM

yes, you are right. Ecological diapers are useful for babies . Children remain happy in that and they will not get any problem to their skin

Sandra December 23, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Hi Krista,
I just made laundry detergent and tried it with a jacket with stains and oil from my niece by putting 3 large spoons of the mixture but it did not remove any dirt at all. What could be the problem? I followed the steps as directed. Thank you.

Krista Davis March 3, 2015 at 7:53 PM

Sandra,
Old stains might need additional work, such as scrubbing by hand and using a peroxide and baking soda paste on the spots. With the oil, I use hot water to remove it. Cold water seems to cause it to set in.
I hope that helps.
-Krista

Lolali December 25, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Diaper rash problem can be solved using ecological diaper. it is the need of babies

lolali December 31, 2014 at 11:08 PM

yes, homemade laundary detergent is good

lolali January 23, 2015 at 11:09 PM

Homemade laundary is a good option for diaper rash.

Arnold January 25, 2015 at 5:57 PM

You mentioned using “Distilled White Vinegar to help brighten whites, removes odors, and can be used in place of fabric softener”.
I didn’t see how much of this I was supposed to add to the wash.

Krista Davis March 3, 2015 at 7:46 PM

Arnold,
Sorry for such a late reply. I have been extremely occupied by my newborn.
I typically add 1/2 to 1 cup of vinegar per load.
-Krista

Andrene February 10, 2015 at 7:27 AM

Hi Krista,

I’m looking forward to trying this recipe out! THANK YOU tons for doing all the research and sharing it with all of us!!!!!!

I was wondering how this recipe is for colors? Do you see a difference in fading or not after a few uses? I’ve been trying to find a safe/clean color saver recipe to use. Any suggestions?

Thanks again :-)

Krista Davis March 3, 2015 at 7:44 PM

Andrene,
Sorry it took so long to respond. My newborn has me very busy.
I have not found any issue of fading with this detergent. I hope you love it as much as my family does.

Jojo March 16, 2015 at 6:27 PM

Hello, I am very interested in trying your recipe. One question though. I have a top loading standard washer at my apartment complex and was wondering if you need to add the vinegar at the rinse cycle or can you throw it in at the beginning with the detergent? It isn’t so convenient due to my wash room being at other end of complex to run back and forth :)
Thanks!!

Krista Davis March 19, 2015 at 2:04 PM

I prefer it during the rinse cycle, but there have been many times my husband has added it at the beginning with no problem.

Victoria March 17, 2015 at 3:58 PM

Hi there! Now that your baby is born and your cloth diapering Id like to know how this detergent is working on them? I’m a full time cloth diapering mom , thanks for the recipe 😉

Krista Davis March 19, 2015 at 2:03 PM

Victoria,
The detergent is working great on the cloth diapers. We primarily use flats. We do a cold rinse, hot wash, and two additional rinses before drying. I do prefer to dry outside, since the sun sanitizes and helps with any poop stains. We have only had staining from using a family members low quality machine, but out portable Panda washing machine and handwashing have been great with this detergent. We will add tea tree oil to the wash and vinegar to the rinse.

anna April 2, 2015 at 7:39 PM

Hey, I was wondering if I could use washing soda instead of baking soda and kosher salt instead of epsom salt? Thanks for the recipe, btw!

Krista Davis April 23, 2015 at 6:46 PM

You can substitute the two but, as I mentioned in the article, waging soda does have health risks.

Ally April 12, 2015 at 8:12 AM

Hi there,

For bad stains whats the ratio of hydrogen peroxide to bicarbonate that would be used?

And how long would it need to be left on the stain? E.g. overnight?

And is the paste, an addition – to the additional 1/2 Cup hydrogen peroxide added to the wash?

When would it be best to use distilled white vinegar – please give examples? And how would I use it if solely handwashing? Would I need to rinse it out with plain water?

Thanks for sharing!
x

Krista Davis April 23, 2015 at 6:43 PM

I’m not sure of the ratio, I just make a toothpaste like mixture.

Marina June 20, 2015 at 8:05 AM

Hi Krista, thank you for sharing your knowledge on this post. And congrats on the new baby! I’m due in 2 weeks and I’m getting ready to plung into cloth diapering world. I am living in Argentina and castille soap is not available, however I found plain neutral liquid detergent. I was wondering if I could either omit the detergent altogether,? And my other question, I read somewhere that baking soda is not safe for hemp or bamboo fabrics. I have mainly bamboo inserts and want to give them the best possible lifespan. Any advice? Thanks!!!!

Krista Davis June 21, 2015 at 10:35 PM

I have heard of some cloth diaper families omitting the detergent/soap. That is up to you, or you can try a little of some other type of gentle soap. In regards to the bamboo inserts, I have 3 bamboo velour fitted diapers and haven’t had any issues using this recipe. I just always make sure to do 1 or 2 extra rinses.

Taryn Hurd July 3, 2015 at 6:24 AM

Hi! I was wondering if you could tell me the process you used to hand wash the cloth diapers with this detergent. I’ve read how to hand wash the diapers, however not with home made detergent. Is this the only thing you put in the water?

Krista Davis July 6, 2015 at 5:09 PM

I also like to use vinegar and tea tree oil. I use flats and wool covers (which have there own cleaning method). Since I don’t use PUL I havent had any issues with the detergent, vinegar, or tee tree oil like some other blogs report. Try out what you want. Every fabric reacts differently.

Michelle November 20, 2015 at 4:36 PM

I am wondering how it would work if I make the laundry soap as specified, but then leaving out the shredded soap and add the liquid Dr. Bronners directly on top of the powder in the machine… Anyone tried this or see what it might not work? I’m looking to save time from the grating as I already have the liquid Dr. Bronners.

Tristan March 6, 2016 at 4:54 PM

Titanium Dioxide itself is not a carcinogen. Titanium dioxide is often found near lead where it is mined and poor quality titanium can have varying degrees of lead… but a producer can do a lead test on titanium dioxide to determine its real health concerns, given enough demand for a lead free titanium dioxide product..

Arijana March 21, 2016 at 2:30 PM

Hi. I’ve used the more “original” recipe but minus the Fels Naptha soap. I use it like this:

One 2 lb box baking soda
1.25 cups washing soda
2 small scoops (or one large scoop) Original oxy clean–the scoop that comes with the container
1/3 of a 4.5 oz bar of fragrance free Goat Milk soap–grated very fine

Use 1 TBS for a normal load, 2 TBS for a large or extra dirty load.

If you’re using a bar of soap, make sure its WHITE. If not, it can discolor shirt buttons. I gave this recipe to a lady that worked at my local laundromat. She raved about it and gave some to another woman she knows that said she simply could NOT get the yellowing out of a sweater. I guess she’d tried everything to get it out but Dolly came back and told me that woman said it took every bit of yellowing out of that sweater!!! I may try the adjusted recipe the poster listed as I’m curious to see how it stacks up against the one I’ve been using. I really like how there seems to be ZERO soap residue in the clothes, low sudsing and smells just plain CLEAN. Even my cat with sensitive skin who is prone to allergies and hives on her ears has no issues. LOVE IT

Arijana

Ty March 30, 2016 at 7:59 PM

Hello!

I’m looking at making a batch of this for a college class project. I personally don’t need such a large batch is there a way to scale the numbers back so it’s still effective but I’m not sitting on so much product? Thank you in advance for taking the time to help.

Krista Davis April 1, 2016 at 7:18 PM

You would have to divide each amount by the same number, giving you an equal ratio.

Elise August 27, 2016 at 1:53 PM

Hi, this looks great. Can you tell me though whether the baking soda has any risk of causing fading or lightening to my clothes?
Many thanks for sharing your discoveries with us!

Krista Davis September 2, 2016 at 7:28 PM

Elise,
I haven’t noticed any damage from the baking soda.

nokia android phone release date March 4, 2017 at 4:09 AM

I have read so many articles or reviews concerning
the blogger lovers but this paragraph is truly a good article, keep it up.